Dan Fatula ----------- 1st XHL Championship
Updated: Jan 27, 2022
1. You have been playing hockey for over 20 years, but you weren’t a part of any championship teams. How does it feel to now have a championship on your resume? It's a great feeling but more importantly I just enjoyed playing on this team with these guys.
2. They were without Joe last night, but were you still surprised to win by 7 goals in that first game? Even without Joe they are a very formidable team with no weak spots. I thought it would be decided by one goal.
3. The 2nd game could have gone either way. What did you think made the difference for the team? I thought we did a good job playing as a team and limiting their quality chances.
4. When you first looked at the teams roster, what were your expectations for the season?
On paper I thought we were the 3rd best team. I thought Slap Happy would be undefeated and win it all. As the season went on though I saw how we played solid team hockey and had a chance to win every night.
5. Xhl has been going for 20 years now. Do you think a small community like this can keep organized hockey going for the unforeseeable future? Absolutely. We have a lot of good youth players that will pick up where us old guys leave off. Brian Anderson
1. Another championship on your resume. How does this one compare to some of the other ones that you won? This was probably my favorite xhl team to play on. Everyone seemed to have fun this season. It seemed like everyone on the team looked forward to Monday nights. The only bad part is that its over now, but at least we ended up where we wanted too.
2. They were without Joe last night, but were you still surprised to win by 7 goals in that first game? Yea. It seemed like it was one of those games where we had a really good game and they had a really bad game. They were probably a little deflated when Joe couldn’t be there. It would have been an entirely different series if he had been there.
3. The 2nd game could have gone either way. What did you think made the difference for the team? I give them credit for the way they played in the 2nd game. We won pretty easily in the first game and maybe they started thinking ahead to the 2nd game when we got up by a comfortable margin in the first game. I think us having our full squad and them missing Joe and Jason Duttry made the difference. We were able to rotate in and out pretty well to try to stay fresh. With them only having one sub, they probably didn’t have much left at the end of that 2nd game.
4. When you first looked at the teams roster, what were your expectations for the season? I knew we could be competitive and would have a chance to win against any team, but I thought it may take some time to get used to each other. Kevin, Dan and Rooster were great additions. Rooster sometimes gets overlooked because of some of those great Renegade teams he was on, but he was a really good addition for us. I was surprised that we played as well as we did all season. We beat 2 really good teams in the playoffs.
5. XHL Completed its 20th season. Do you think there is enough youth and interest to keep hockey going ito the unforeseeable future? For an area like this, I think we are really fortunate to have 2 really good places to play hockey. Its something we may take for granted. Brockways court is amazing. I just wish we had nice weather all year round so we could enjoy it more. The guys who run their summer league do a really good job. Combine that with xhl, hopefully we can keep going for a while. We definitely have the resources to make it happen, now we just need a little more youth.