Ironman Tournament --------- December 27th
Kevin Smith (Smith, Amick, Anderson, Bassett, Matchock)
1. Lots of hockey last night. Hows your body feeling today following all those games? It would have been nice to play one more for the title! Body is sore for sure!
2. This team was only able to generate a couple wins. What do you think went wrong? We created quite a few chances that we didn’t finish. Personally I had multiple opportunities and came up short.
3. How enjoyable (maybe tiring is a better word) is it to play in ironman tournaments? Anytime you get to play hockey it’s enjoyable, even if the next day your body hurts! Ironman tournaments have always been fun because anything can happen in a short game.
4. Which of those games was the most enjoyable to play last night? They were all fun, but playing red was probably my favorite. It’s always interesting playing “my old man” Bert!
5. XHL Playoffs start Monday against the Narwals (Best of 3 series). Are you looking forward to the challenge? Absolutely looking forward to it, playoff hockey is the best! Everyone team is solid this time of year which makes attention to detail even more important! If we can field anywhere close to a full roster I think it should be a very close series! Could go either way!
Cody Schuckers (Schuckers, Calvert, Waltman, Dodd, Benanti, Sutter)
1. Lots of hockey last night. Hows your body feeling today following all those games? Definitely feeling the affects of a whole tournament after no hockey since august pretty much
2. What can you say about the overall team effort in the games last night? Definitely impressed and proud of the whole teams effort we did what we needed to do unfortunately wasn’t able to convert any goals in the championship game but nonetheless everyone gave it their all
3. How enjoyable (maybe tiring is a better word) is it to play in those ironman tournaments? As tiring as it is it’s definitely always a blast getting an overload of hockey especially since mostly everyone that plays only plays once a week
4. Which of the games was the most enjoyable to play last night? I think the game against black that we had to win to get to the finals since they pretty much handled us in the round robin game so we were feeling like underdogs for that game
5. Have you been following xhl at all this season and if you have, what kind of chance are you giving the Narwals going into the playoffs? Honestly I haven’t been following it too close but after talking with some of the narwhal players last night it sounds like they got some good traction and chemistry going into the playoffs and with the players they have they are a dangerous team so I’d say their chances are good Zach Smith (Boyd, Smith, Dodd, Dodd, Luzier) 1. Lots of hockey last night. Hows your body feeling today following all those games? Not bad to be honest. I feel like I'm in decent hockey shape so those Ironmans don't put too much of a hurting on me.
2. What can you say about the overall team effort in the games last night? I thought we played well in every game we played other that game against the green team. We played very well positionally throughout the night and didn't give up many odd man breaks. We didn't finish on most of our chances and I think that's what killed us when it was all said and done. I thought all the teams were evenly matched other than the green team and it showed in the standing at the end of the night.
3. How enjoyable (maybe tiring is a better word) is it to play in those ironman tournaments? I love it. It's a different style of play knowing that one goal could cost you the game or even the tournament. With the limited time on the clock there isn't really much of an opportunity to get back into a game so every play that you make is magnified.
4. Which of the games was the most enjoyable to play last night? I thought all of them were enjoyable. I don't think people gave us a chance when they looked at the final rosters but we ended up holding most teams to a tie and even winning a game against the 2nd best team. It makes it fun when you don't have much expectations going into it, and we almost played well enough to make it into the playoffs.
5. Mayhem have a one game play in against the Mobb or Walkers Monday night at 815. Are you looking forward to it? I am looking forward to it. I think it will be a tight game either way and it will be intense. Who is going to show up for our game might be the biggest concern for us on Monday.
Clint Lingenfelter (Foradori, Reiter, Tosh, Galentine, Hetrick, Lingenfelter) 1. You found yourself on another championship team last night. How would you compare this championship team to the championship team you played on back in the September Brockway tournament? Very similar! All the guys never quit grinding all night and thats how u win games. Regardless of the outcome I had a great time in both of them.
2. Jordan Tosh was a last day replacement for Rooster. What does a guy like Jordan Tosh bring to a team and does he make your life easier as a goalie? Tosh is awesome! His speed is insane...backchecking is top in the league and once in awhile he scores some crazy goals! Ive thoroughly enjoyed playing with him over the past year!
3. You were able to shut down the last 2 opponents (team blue and team white). What can you say about the overall defensive effort? A+!! When u see a 0 up on the board u usually think the goalie was on fire but those guys made it easy for me limiting the opposing teams to shots that I should save everytime! Cant ask for much more than that!
4. When you looked at your team and looked at the other teams, what kind of a chance did you give your team going into the tournament? There were so many teams that couldve easily won it last night but Ive seen it for a long time...I knew we had a good chance mainly because Brandon will always b a difference maker! When hes on theres not a single player that can stop him.
5. Narwals will try to carry over the Brockway championship to the XHL. How confident are you in your team going into the xhl playoffs? Very! We started off extremely slow as a team but everything has finally molded together. Cant wait for the challenge! Rob Stanley (Waddell, Llewellyn, Miller, Stanley, Risser)
1. Lots of hockey last night. Hows your body feeling today following all those games? I was pretty sore after last night. Old age really catches up to ya! Cramped up after I got home. Lol
2. What can you say about the overall team effort in the games last night? I think we played well considering most of us never played together. We were in every game. We should of won all the games we tied. That was a heartbreak
3. How enjoyable (maybe tiring is a better word) is it to play in those ironman tournaments? Well, I didn't think it was going to be an Ironman but it was nice to play ball again. I felt my skating was still there & I passed well but I didn't contribute as much as I would have liked. My play has dropped considerably.
4. Which of the games was the most enjoyable to play last night? I had fun in most of them but we had Green team beat but blew it with 30 seconds left. That game was a good one though
5. Have you been following xhl at all this season and if you have, which team do you predict to win the championship? I really haven't but it's probably between Joe Bussard's team & Bob's. Bob Anderson (Anderson, Jewell, Chesley, Clontz, Dodd) 1. Lots of hockey last night. Hows your body feeling today following all those games? Not bad for an old guy!
2. What can you say about the overall team effort in the games last night? It was a fun group for sure. We struggled a bit at first to find the right strategy that worked for us but I think we definitely settled in well as the night went on. We generated a lot of good chances. We just didn’t finish them as well as we needed to in a couple of those close games.
3. How enjoyable (maybe tiring is a better word) is it to play in those ironman tournaments? Those tournaments are always a lot of fun! I was talking to Clint afterwards and he mentioned doing this event yearly and trying to have a tournament every three months or so. I think that would be a good idea. This one in particular is nice because it’s a bit different in that teams are drafted instead of recruited. It made things very even.
4. Which of the games was the most enjoyable to play last night? I’m not sure any one in particular stands out. I enjoyed all of them, even the one against green that we got blown out in. It’s just nice to compete and get some exercise.
5. Putting this tournament together was a brain storm idea that came to mind after the rink was open to letting us play last night. We even brainstormed a player draft idea instead of just putting random teams together. Were you happy with how the tournament turned out? Absolutely! It was a wonderful idea and I appreciate you letting me help put it together. So much better than pick up! It was great to get to dedicate the scoreboard as well and get a group picture with the Reynolds’ family. Thanks to everyone who played!