Monday, February 27th
Updated: Mar 1
Regular Season Standings after February 27th Games: Points for and Points Against in parenthesis.
1. Eagles 11 (40/27)
2. Knights 10 (48/35)
3. Mayhem 10 (50/54)
4. Colonials 9 (40/34)
5. Slap Happy 8 (32/32)
6. Slashers 2 (34/44)
7. Walkers 2 (39/54)
***Just a heads up for the playoffs. The top 3 teams at the end of the regular season will be guaranteed a best of 3 semi final series. The bottom 4 teams at the end of the regular season will have to play in a single elimination 4th place tournament to determine who the 4th and final playoff team will be. 4th place will play 7th place, 5th place will play 6th place. The winners of those games will play against one another on the same night to determine who the 4th and final playoff team will be. The top seed at the end of the regular season will get to choose which team they want to play when the best of 3 semi final series’s begin.***
Eagles 6 Slap Happy 4
The Eagles got back on track following a mini 2 game slide by picking up a 6-4 win over the Slap Happy last night. They got off to a 2-0 lead after the first period. Austin Boyd got the scoring started followed by a goal from Jerred Amick. Amick would add a power play goal in the 2nd period. The Slap Happy got their first goal, shorthanded out of all things, late in the 2nd period. It deflected off a stick or two and bounced in. The Eagles still led 5-1 by the time the 2nd period ended. Henry Sutter played exceptionally well, especially in the 2nd period to prevent any hope of a Slap Happy rally. Alex Waddell added an insurance goal for the Eagles in the 3rd period. Adam McKinley had a solid game in net as well to keep the Slap Happy within striking distance. Joe Bussard scored to get them to within 4 at 6-2 and Derik Day would add a couple goals late including one as he was falling down to make the final score a little closer but it was the 2nd time the Slap Happy fell to the Eagles this season. The win keeps the Eagles at the top of the standings by a point over the Knights. The Eagles will play against the Walkers next week while the Slap Happy look to pick up another win against the Colonials next week at 7.
Mayhem 7 Walkers 5
Better late than never----- With his team trailing in the 2nd period, Peach took a break from doing push ups long enough to see his team rally from a 2 goal deficit against the Walkers last night. The Walkers started strong and led for the majority of the first 2 periods. Tony Dodd was unable to attend the game for the Walkers meaning the Mayhem got to face their former goalie Henry Sutter. Jason Stamler scored his 2nd goal of the game in the 2nd period to put his team up 4-2 but the Mayhem battled back thanks to some more goal scoring from Brenden Chesley. A couple weeks prior to the start of the season, Chesley did not have a team but Peach should not be regretting the acquisition. Tyler Waltman also contributed in the Mayhem rally along with Tyler Stitt scoring in the 3rd period to put the Mayhem up 6-5. They would add an insurance goal late in the 3rd period to seal another 2 goal win against the Walkers. It was their 3rd win against the Walkers this season. All 3 games were decided by 2 goals with each win going down to the wire. The Walkers scored just a minute or two into the game when the ball bounced off a couple guys in front of the net. It may have been Tony Conforto that got the first goal. They also got another favorable bounce late in the 2nd period to go up 5-4. It may have been Jake Deberti that batted the ball in as it hit a few different players in front of the net. Derrian Matchock had another solid game in goal, in particular, the last period, for the Mayhem. They will take on the Slashers next Monday night at 8 while the Walkers will play the Eagles for the 2nd time this season at 9 next week. They held their own against them on opening night.
Knights 8 Colonials 7 (Shootout)
We had our first overtime game last week and we saw our first shootout last night. Brandon Reiter scored the overtime winner last week and he scored the shootout winner last night. It did not look like overtime or a shootout would be necessary last night. The Colonials were up 7-4 just minutes into the 3rd period and had a real good chance to score in overtime, but Kevin Smith just missed. Him and Bob Anderson set themselves up for a prime opportunity to score with under a minute to go in overtime. Tim Herman was unable to make it for the Colonials last night so Adam McKinley stepped in. The Knights made him feel unwelcome when they scored less than a minute into the game. They soon scored again to go up 2-0 before Kevin Smith and John Matchock (power play goal) tied the game at 2. Brandon Reiter made it 3-2 before Bob Anderson scored late in the first period to tie the game at 3. Kevin Smith made his presence felt in the 2nd period when he scored on a nice pass from Bob Anderson. Soon afterwards, Kevin Smith made a nice pass of his own when he set Brian Anderson up for a goal in front of the net to put the Colonials up 5-3. Andy Calvert scored for the Knights to make it 5-4 after 2 periods. On the opening faceoff of the 3rd period, Kevin Smith set Brian Anderson up for another goal to make it 6-4 and John Matchock would score his 2nd goal of the game soon afterwards to make it 7-4 Colonials. Andy Calvert led the Knights rally in the 3rd period. He would end up scoring 4 or 5 goals on the night. The tying goal came late in the 3rd period when the ball bounced around eventually finding its way past Colonials fill in goalie Adam McKinley. Both teams had chances to win late but the game would not get decided until Brandon Reiter snuck one by McKinley in the shootout. Andy Calvert would score in the shootout as well for the Knights. John Matchock was the only Colonial to score in the shootout. Clint denied Kevin Smith and Bob Anderson from scoring in the shootout. The Knights will play the Slashers for the first time next Monday night while the Colonials will play against the Slap Happy.
John Matchock (Colonials)
1. 8 to 7 loss tonight. What can you say about the overall team effort tonight? I thought we played well in spurts. We had some problems in the third period that hurt. The knights used their speed and were able to get some prime scoring chances.
2. You scored to put the team up 7 to 4 but that lead didn’t hold up. What do you think went wrong at the end? I think the knights found a different gear. They really put the pressure on. Adam made some nice saves to keep them at bay but we gave up too many prime scoring chances.
3. What was your impression of the knights? Fast and work well together.
4. Only one sub tonight. Did you think you held up ok? Hindsight is always 20/20. I think i did but I know I was tired a few times and made some stupid passes.
5. What positives can you take out of the game? We hung with them. We had our opportunity. We got a point. Just have to learn from this game and be ready for the next game.
Tony Conforto (Walkers)
1. 7 to 5 loss tonight. What can you sat about the overall team effort tonight? I would say that we all played hard out there tonight and we kept them in the ropes until the start of the third.
2. You guys were up again but couldn’t find a way to win. What do you think went wrong at the end? . The spirit seemed to be lost after the second period ended and the goal was counted. I feel as if we all lost the energy after that and did not find our groove in the third
3. All 3 games over those guys went down to the wire. What was your impression of them tonight? . They were able to pace themselves and kept their energy up in the third. Chesley always seems to find the net!
4. How do you think this team has looked overall in the games you have played this season? The walkers are continuing to get better, playing harder, and striving to improve
5. What positives can you take out of the game tonight? We got to play hockey!!! I always enjoy playing with this group, we all are supportive and the criticism is always constructive
Trent Bembenic (Mayhem)
1. 7 to 5 win tonight. What can you say about the overall team effort? The team effort was great, I think everyone’s starting to get some chemistry building from playing together this season
2. You guys keep winning these close games. What does that do for team confidence? winning the past few weeks when we were behind definitely helps build some confidence
3. You guys were losing the last 2 weeks but came back to win both games. How do you think you were able to rally in both those games? we’ve been down in the first period in both games the past few weeks but once we got into rhythm we were able to comeback and win both
4. What’s it been like playing on this team so far? unfortunately I haven’t been able to make it to most of our games earlier this season but since I’ve been able to make it lately I feel like everyone’s learning how each other play a lot better and I like playing with this group of guys
5. Derrian was a late goalie addition before the season started. How do you think he has looked in net for you guys? Derrians been great in net for us so far, we need to keep playing good consistent defense and try not to let the other teams take as many shots
Eric Llewellyn (Eagles)
1. 6 to 4 win tonight. What can you say about the overall team effort tonight? We put in a solid effort but we needed to keep our foot on the gas. They are a good team and you cant let up on them or they will score.... which they did. It was a little sloppy at the end there. Board said 6-4 but it felt better than that.
2. You guys were on a mini losing streak. What does this win do for team confidence? Yeah we dropped 2 games in a row to 2 good teams... we also had a bye week in there. It was a rough 3 weeks. We needed this win to feel like were back on track and it definitely boosted our confidence. There isnt a lot of time to get it right with such a short season. I dont remember the XHL ever being this short.
3. How do you compare this game to the first game you played against them? It felt about the same honestly. We match up pretty good against them... we have a plan for them. It works. We wont be changing anything if we see them again.
4. You guys blew a lead over the knights last week but did pick up a point in the standings. Did you sort of consider it a moral win or a deflating loss? Deflating loss for sure. We played like trash the 2nd half of the game and we know that. That game is water under the bridge and were ready to play them again. This is actually one of the tightest xhl seasons in recent memory....with all the teams beating each other any given night. So again..... really sucks to see it be so short.
5. 2 penguin wins this weekend. Do you think there is any chance they can compete in the playoffs if they make it there? No lol. Thats the short answer! I do think they will limp their way in but they will get destroyed. The Bruins the Rangers and even the Hurricanes are on a different level than the Penguins. If they did win 1 round.... i dont know how many players would even survive a 2nd round. Pittsburgh is small and weak and it shows every year when the playoffs come around.