Standings after January 15th games:
1. Eagles 4 (23/3)
2. Knights 4 (18/4)
3. Colonials 3 (15/5)
4. Yeti 2 (16/13)
5. Jawas 2 (12/13)
6. Mayhem 2 (6/10)
7. Hounds 0 (3/22)
8. Walkers 0 (2/26)
Colonials 13 Hounds 1
For some reason, Colonials leader Bob Anderson invited Henry Sutter to do a radio show with him on connect fm last Wednesday night. For those who don’t know, the Colonials were upset by the Mayhem last week following a superb effort from the Mayhem and their fill in goalie Henry Sutter. Denny Stinchcomb and Phil Mace made their season debuts last night and gave the team a spark offensively. Kevin Smith scored just a minute into the game and Phil Mace added a couple goals soon after to put the Colonials ahead 3-0 just a couple minutes into the game. Andrew Britton temporarily stopped the bleeding when he batted in a Brenden Chesley shot attempt to close the gap to 3-1 but the Colonials scored 4 more times to end the first period. Kevin Smith set Brian Anderson up for their 4th goal and scored a couple more goals on his own to give the Colonials an 11-1 lead after 2 periods. Phil Mace and Denny Stinchcomb added their share of goals and good passes to different teammates throughout the game. John Matchock made his season debut in net and looked good. Despite the goal differential, Matchock faced a decent amount of good shot attempts last night and looks like he is ready for the full time role in net this season. We will find out if last nights game gave him some confidence for their game against the Yeti next week. Hounds goalie Chris Snyder didn’t have much time to blink last night as he had shots coming from all angles last night. He made some impressive saves in the loss. The Hounds will look to get on track when they face the Walkers next week.
Eagles 11 Jawas 3
The Eagles had no idea who was even on the Jawas roster yesterday morning, but they were probably happy to be playing instead of sitting home watching the Steeler game. The Eagles were originally scheduled for a bye last night until the Jawas were formed last weekend. They may have been impressed with the Jawa shirts. Kaden Coulter played a solid game in net for the Jawas last night. Behind some good defense and solid goaltending from Kaden Coulter, the Jawas were able to hold the Eagles off the scoreboard for the first 10 minutes of the game. Jerred Amick was able to finally get a shot past Coulter to put the Eagles up 1-0. Jeremy Sawey scored late in the first period for the Jawas to close the gap to 2-1 but Eric Llewellyn scored soon after to put the Eagles up 3-1 at the end of the first period. The Eagles extended the lead to 7-2 by the time the 2nd period ended. Zach Foradori put the Eagles up 4-1 early in the 2nd period after a nice set up from Alex Waddell. Austin Boyd had a couple goals in his season debut last night. Laken Dodd batted in an Adam McKinley shot to close the gap to 7-3 early in the 3rd period but the Eagles pulled away in the 3rd period. Eric Llewellyn scored a couple goals in that stretch. The Eagles are now 2-0 on the season as they prepare for games against the Knights and Colonials. They will have Cody Schuckers in the lineup for the first time next week. The jawas were playing without Jeff Wehner. It appears that Jeff wanted to torcher himself by watching the Steeler game. Joe Roush made his season debut for the Jawas last night. John Matchock made his season debut as a skater last night. The Jawas will take on the Mayhem next week.
Yeti 14 Walkers 2
Both these teams had a rough opening week but something had to change for one of them last night. Walkers goalie Tony Dodd made a good save on a Zach Smith shot attempt just seconds into the game. Unfortunately for Dodd and the Walkers, Steve Kalgren was there to bat it in. That play itself set the tone for the rest of the game. Steve Kalgren and Ben Rossi were all over the net throughout the game. The Walkers were forced to call a time out late in the first period once the Yeti found themselves up 6-0. Derrian Matchock scored early in the 2nd period to close the gap to 6-1 but the Yeti answered just seconds later to go up 7-1. Troy Gaydosh scored the Walkers other goal later in the 2nd period to close the gap to 9-2 but the Yeti scored 4 more times to find themselves up 13-2 going into the 3rd period. The game was mercy ruled early into the 3rd period. The Yeti will face the Colonials next week. The Walkers have had the toughest schedule so far. We will see if they can bounce back against the Hounds next week.
Knights 7 Mayhem 2
With Derrian Matchock skating out for the Walkers this season, Mayhem leader Peach Caltagarone is expecting to see revolving goalies throughout the season. Despite the 7-2 loss to the Knights last night, its safe to say that the Mayhem have had the right goalies so far. Derrian Matchock had a tough act to follow after being on the opposite end of Henry Sutter last week, but its safe to say that he followed it up really well. The Knights found themselves up 3-0 by the end of the first period but they had to fire a lot of shots to get those 3 goals. Brandon Reiter got the first one about 7 minutes into the first period. The lead grew to 3-0 after an Andy Calvert goal. 3 mayhem players were unable to come last night (illness going around --- Deloia, Trent, Stamler) so they had Erika and Laken skate out for them. Laken scored to make it 3-1 and Anthony Schuckers closed the gap to 3-2 before Jake Kline scored late in the 2nd period to put the Knights ahead 4-2. The lead would grow to 5-2 by the end of the 2nd period. 2 third period goals put the game away. The Mayhem will face the Jawas next week while the Knights will take on the Eagles in a highly anticipated 3rd game of the season.
Derrian Matchock (Skater for Walkers, goalie for Mayhem)
1. 7-2 loss to the Knights last night. What can you say about the overall team effort in the loss? team effort was there. Once we tighten up defensively I think we can put up a fight every game
2. You were also part of a 14-2 loss to the Yeti in a skate out role for the walkers. Are there any positives for the walkers to take out of that game? we scored. I mean there wasn’t too much going up but being able to put up some goals does help the morale a little bit.
3. Whats it been like being on skates so far considering you haven’t done it for a little while? I’m slowly getting back into it. I feel slower than I did before but it’s getting better each game so once I play a few more I think I’ll feel better about my personal game.
4. You made a ton of saves last night. Did you feel yourself getting in a good groove with all the shots they were firing your way? I did. I made a few flashy saves but then again, a couple goals I believe I could’ve had, but just didn’t
5. You will skate out against the Hounds and goalie against the Jawas next week. Are you looking forward to what should be better quality games than what last nights games were? it’s nice to play the better teams just to get better as a team. But playing a team closer to the skill level of our team will hopefully help morale going forward.
Cody Haag (Hounds)
1. 13-1 loss to the Colonials. What can you say about the overall team effort last night? Team effort was good just different skill levels out on the court but I thought we played hard
2. Did you think you guys played better last night than in the first week against the Jawas? Overall I think we played better and got some more chances. We need a lot more work on defense we left chris out to dry way to many times about 13 to be exact!
3. You will get the walkers next week. What kind of game are you expecting from them? They have a good team and a good goalie! I'm sure they will play a good game against us so hopefully we can play the entire game!
4. You reffed the Jawas/Eagles game. What did you observe from both teams in that game? jawas for a last minute team have played very well! Their goalie played great in that game and I was impressed with his improvement! The eagles played like I expected them to play!
5. What positives can you take out of these first couple of games? Positives we get to play hockey once a week! Like the jawas this is kind of a left over team of people who were not already on or asked to be on another team. So if it keeps people playing and adding a team to the league I'm all for it!'m all for it!
John Matchock (Colonial goalie, Jawa Skater)
1. You made your season debut last night. How did you feel about your play in net and your play skating out for the Jawas? I don’t think I played very well in either game. Maybe cause they were first games for me. I like to end games knowing I played well. Didn’t feel that.
2. Speaking of the Jawas, what do you think of the shirt? They are pretty cool. Adam picked out a good name and good shirt.
3. You got a taste of playing against the Eagles in a skate out role. What did you observe from them last night? Talented. They were making some nice plays. Their passing was on target. Very hard to defend.
4. Hounds are still trying to find their way. What words of encouragement can you give them after defending the net against them last night? Gotta keep fighting. Look for improvement each week. Not about wins and losses right now. Look for improvement.
5. XHL is usually a summer sport. Do you like the idea of xhl in the winter and SRHL in the summer? Hmmm I don’t know. That’s a tough question. I like the XHL in summer cause you didn’t have to worry about the weather.
Brandon Reiter (Knights)
1. 7-2 win over the Mayhem last night. What can you say about the overall team effort in the win? It was a strong effort. We didn't take them lightly and worked hard all game.
2. You guys beat the Yeti 11-2 last week. Were you surprised at all by the margin of victory? I was surprised. They have some good players, but some maybe just haven't played together a whole lot. I think they just had a night where they were off
3. Mayhem hung tough for a while last night. What was your impression of Derrian and the rest of their team? They played hard and definitely had some solid defense and goaltending. Lots of good things going for them I hope they can keep it up.
4. Its no secret that a lot of teams revolve their game plan on trying to contain you. How do you prepare yourself for that especially in bigger games like next week will be? I don't really prepare because I don't think about it. I just try to adjust in game to whatever is going on.
5. Another early playoff exit for the Steelers. What kind of changes do you think they need to make this offseason? Still evaluating but I do think everything needs to be looked at.